CORNERSTONE OF PRESIDENT’S HOUSE LAID IN WASHINGTON CITY
Washington, D.C. (JFK+50) 220 years ago today, Saturday, October 13, 1792, the 1st stone of the President’s House was laid here in the Nation’s Capital.
The description of this historic event comes from a news story appearing in the Charleston City Gazette of November 15, 1792.
“On Saturday the 13th inst. the first stone was laid in the southwest corner of the President’s House, in the city of Washington, by the Free Masons of George-town & its vicinity who assembled on the occasion.
The procession was formed at the Fountain Inn, Georgetown. The ceremony was performed by brother J.T. Casneve, the master of the lodge. He delivered an oration well adapted to the occasion.”
The news story also informed readers that a brass plate was placed inside the cornerstone with the following inscription:
“George Washington, President.
T. Johnson, Doctor Stewart, Daniel Carroll, James Hoban, Architect
Collen Williamson, Master Mason
*Source: 1792-Strange Secrets of the White House, Rense.com